PASSION OF CHRIST REVEALED TO SAINT BRIDGET OF SWEDEN 1st PART

 

THE AGONY IN THE GARDEN. 

 

 Jesus speaks: 

 
I had three things in my 
death. First, Faith, when I bent my knees 
and prayed, knowing that the Father could 
deliver me from my Passion. Second, Hope, 
when I waited so constantly, and said: Not 
as I will. Third, Charity, when I said : Thy 
will be done. I had, too, anguish of body 
and the natural fear of my Passion, when the 
blood issued from my body. Let not my 
friends then tremble as if abandoned, when 
tribulation comes upon them ; I showed them 
m myself that weak flesh always shrinks from 
trouble. But you may ask, How did a bloody 
sweat issue from my body ? As the blood of 
the sick man is dried and consumed in all his 
members, so my blood was consumed by the 
natural fear of death. Finally, my Father 
wishing to show the way by which heaven 
should be opened and excluded man enter in, 
out of love delivered me lip to the Passion, 
that by accomplishing it, my body might be 
glorified. For in justice, my humanity could 
not enter glory without passion, although I 
might have done so by the power of my 
divinity. 

How then do they deserve to enter into my 
glory, who have little faith, vain hope, and no 
charity? If, indeed, they had the faith of 
 eternal joy and horrible punishment, they 
would desire naught but me. Did they be- 
lieve that I know and see all things, and am 
powerful over all things, and seek judgment 
of all, the earth would grow vile to them, and 
they would be more afraid to sin before me 
for my fear, than before men. Had they firm 
hope, then their whole mind and thought 
would be to me. Had they divine charity, 
they would at least think in mind, what I did 
for them, how great was my labor in preach- 
ing, my pain in my Passion, my charity in 
death, because I preferred death to abandon- 
ing them. But their faith is weak, tottering, 
as it were, to fall ; because they believe, when 
the assault of temptation is absent, — they dis- 
trust, when any thing contrary comes upon 
them. Their hope is vain ; they hope that sin 
will be forgiven without justice and truth of 
judgment. They trust to obtain the kingdom 
of heaven gratis ; they desire to obtain mercy 
untempered by justice. Their love towards 
me is all cold, because they are never inflamed 
to seek me unless compelled by tribulation. 
How can I be warm with such, who have 
neither right faith, firm hope, nor fervent love 
for me? So when they cry out to me and 
say: “Have mercy on me, O God,” they do 
not deserve to be heard, nor to enter into my 
glory. As they will not follow their Lord to 
his passion, they shall not follow him to his 
glory. For no soldier can please his Lord, 
and, after falling, be restored to favor, unless 
he first humbles him to show his contempt. — 
Lib. L, c. 39. 
 
 

Comments