CONTINUATION OF THE PASSION OF CHRIST REVEALED TO ST BRIDGET 2ND PART

AFTER THE AGONY UNTIL THE DEATH OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST

The Blessed Virgin speaks. 

 
 At that time, my Son was suffering, and as 
Judas the traitor approached, he stooped to- 
wards him, for Judas was of low stature, 
giving him a kiss, saying: “Friend, wherefore 
hast thou come?” And immediately some 
seized him, others dragged him by the hair, 
others defiled him by spitting upon him. Then
my Son spoke, saying: “I am reputed as a 
worm, which lies in winter as if dead, on 
which the passer-by spits and tramples. The 
Jews have this day treated me like a worm, 
because I was deemed most abject and unwor- 
thy by them.” — Lib. iv., c. 99.
 

 
 When the time of my Son’s Passion arrived, 
his enemies seized him, striking him on his 
cheek and neck ; and spitting upon him, they 
mocked him. Then, led to the pillar, he 
stripped himself, and himself stretched his 
hands to the pillar, which his enemies pitiless 
bound. Now, while tied there he had no 
clothing, but stood as he was born, and suf- 
fered the shame of his nakedness. Then his 
enemies rose up, for they stood on all sides, 
his friends having fled, and they scourged his 
body, pure from all spot or sin. At the first 
blow, I, who stood nearest, fell as if dead, and 
on recovering my senses, I beheld his body 
bruised and beaten to the very ribs, so that 
his ribs could be seen ; and what was still 
more bitter, when the scourge was raised, his 
very flesh was furrowed by the thongs. And 
when my Son stood thus, all bloody, all torn, 
so that no soundness could be found in him, 
nor any spot to scourge, then one, his spirit 
roused within him, asked : Will you slay him 
thus unjudged ?” and he immediately cut his 
bonds. Then my Son put on his clothes, and 
I beheld the spot whSre my Son’s feet stood 
all full of blood, and I knew my Son’s course 
by his footprints, for wherever he went, the 
earth seemed stained with blood; nor did 
they suffer him to clothe himself, but they 
compelled and urged him to hasten. 
 


 
 Now, as my Son was led away like a robber, 
he wiped away the blood from his eyes. And 
when he was condemned, they gave him his 
cross to bear. When he had carried it a 
short way, one came up and assumed it. 
Meanwhile, as my Son was going to the place 
of his Passion, some smote him on the back, 
others struck him in the face. And so vio- 
lently and rudely was he struck, that though 
I did not see the person striking, I distinctly 
heard the sound of the blow. And when I 
came with him to the place of the Passion, I 
there beheld all the instruments prepared for 
his death. And my Son himself coming 
thither, divested himself of his clothes, the 
attendants saying to each other : “ These vest- 
ments are ours, nor can he have them again, 
that is condemned to death.” Now, while 
my Son stood as naked as when he was born, 
one running up, handed him a doth, with 
which, exulting inwardly, he covered him. 
 

Then his cruel executioners seized him, and 
stretched him on the cross. First they fixed 
his right hand .to the beam, which was pierced 
for nails, and they transfixed his hand in the 
part where the bone was firmest. Then 
drawing his other hand with a rope, they 
affixed it in like manner to the cross. Then 
they crucified his right foot, and over it the 
left, with nails, so that all the nerves and 
veins were extended and broken. 
 
This done, they fitted a crown of thorns to his head, 
which so acutely wounded the venerable head 
of my Son, that his eyes were filled, his ears 
stopped up, with the blood that streamed 
down, and his whole beard matted with the 
gore. And as he stood thus pierced and 
bloody, condoling with me as I stood mourning, 
he looked with blood-stained eyes to 
John, my kinsman, and commended me to 
him. At that time, I heard some saying that 
my Son was a robber, others that he was a 
liar, others that none better deserved death 
than my Son, and these words renewed my 
grief. But, as has been said, when the first 
nail was driven into him, horrified at the first 
blow, I fell as though dead, my eyes darkened, 
my hands trembling, my feet quivering, nor 
for bitterness could I look again before it was 
nailed fast. 
 


 
On rising, I beheld my Son hanging miserably, 
and I, his most wretched mother, filled with 
terror on all sides, could scarcely 
stand for grief. But my Son, seeing me and 
his friends weeping disconsolately, in a loud 
and tearful voice cried out to his Father, saying:
 “Father, why hast thou forsaken me ?” 
Then his eyes appeared half dead, his cheeks 
hollow, and his countenance mournful, his 
mouth open and his tongue bloodstained, his 
body collapsed as though he had nothing 
within, the humors being all drained ; his 
whole body, pale and languid from the loss 
and flow of blood. His hands and feet were 
stretched out most rigidly, drawn and shaped 
to the form of the cross, his beard and hair all 
clotted with blood. 
 
Now when my Son was thus torn and livid, his heart 
alone was vigorous, it being naturally very good and strong; 
for at his birth he assumed a most pure body 
of my flesh, and an excellent constitution. 
His skin was so tender and fair, that it could 
not be slightly struck without blood issuing at 
once. His blood was so fresh, that it could be 
seen in his clear skin ; and as he was of an 
excellent temperament, life struggled with 
death in his pierced body. For sometimes 
the pain mounted from his pierced limbs and 
nerves to his heart, which was very vigorous 
and uncorrupted, and thus tortured him with 
incredible pain and suffering. And sometimes 
the pain shot from his heart to his lacerated 
members, and thus prolonged death with bit- 
terness. And when my Son, surrounded with 
these pains, looked to his weeping friends, 
who would have preferred with his assistance 
to bear that penalty in their own persons, or 
to burn forever in hell, rather than see him 
thus tortured, this' pain, from the grief of 
his friends, exceeded all bitterness and tribulation, 
which he endured either in body or in 
heart, because he loved them tenderly. Then 
in his great anguish of body, he cried in his 
humanity to his Father: “Father, into thy 
hands I commend my spirit.” 
 
When I, his most afflicted mother, heard these words, all 
my limbs trembled in my bitter grief of heart. 
And as often as I thought of this word, it was 
present and fresh in my ears. And as death 
came on, when his heart was breaking from 
excessive pain, then all his members quivered, 
and his head, rising slightly, inclined. His 
mouth was seen to open, disclosing his tongue 
all covered with blood. His hands shrunk a 
little from the holes of the nails, and the feet 
bore more of the weight of the body. His 
fingers and arms extended in a manner, and 
his back was pressed back on the cross. 
 
 
See, my daughter, what my Son endured for thee. — Lib. i., c. 10. 

Comments